Downing sinks Khalsa

Stourport Swifts 4 Sporting Khalsa 2   MPL Sat 15th December   Att:  54

Swifts striker Jack Downing gave Sporting Khalsa’s title hopes a dent with a superb hat trick on Saturday.

Downing opened the scoring after just eleven minutes when Nick MacPherson robbed keeper Rob Arnold in possession and unselfishly crossed for Downing fire Swifts in front. MacPherson almost repaeated the favour four minutes later when he skipped past two defenders, but Downing just failed to connect with his cross.

Khalsa hit back, and were unfortunate to see skipper Tesfa Robinson’s header fly just over the bar, and Mykel Beckley’s low shot was well held by Richards.

Downing increased the Swifts lead after 21 minutes when Drew Canavan’s precision pass split the Khalsa defence and he coolly rounded Arnold to tap in from five yards. Striker Lee Chilton missed Khalsa’s best chance to reduce the arrears when he blazed wide from 12 yards when clean through on goal.

Just after the break Downing saw a fierce effort well save by Arnold, but minutes later Swifts were three in front when Matt Hanson blasted home from close range at the far post after Khalsa failed to clear Canavan’s free kick from the right. After 61 minutes Downing completed his hat trick when Canavan again exposed the Khalsa defence and Downing raced on to drill low past Arnold from a narrow angle.

With Swifts cruising at 4-0 Khalsa made them pay for some sloppy defending when Dan Westwood reacted first to force home from a right wing corner from Chilton, and with two minutes left the same player made the score respectable when he broke through unchallenged to slot past Richards.


SWIFTS: Richards, Joe Hanson, Matt Hanson, Fulloway, Jim Hanson, Canavan, Slevin, Layton, Conway, MacPherson, Downing. SUBS USED: Belmonte, Devlin

Swifts make it three in row

Wolverhampton Sporting Community 1  Stourport Swifts 2  MPL Sat 8th December Att: 54

Goals from Jack Downing and Drew Canavan gave Stourport Swifts three league wins in a row for the first time this season and moved them up to 11th place in the Midland Premier League.

Swifts again produced a sparkling start to the match, with Downing firing narrowly wide and Mark Danks continued his run of good form, looking dangerous every time he picked up the ball on the left hand side.

Downing opened the scoring after 26 minutes when Danks put him through on goal and he made no mistake with a clinical low finish past keeper Connor Hopkins. Danks almost delivered a second after a neat interchange with Nick MacPherson, but fired over the top.

Wolves Sporting almost levelled after 40 minutes but Richards in the Swifts goal made a fine save from Jak Barnes’ point blank header, but Swifts started the second half with the same energy as the first, and Hopkins produced a fine block to keep out another effort from Downing before Canavan drove a long range shot into the top corner to put Swifts two up.

MacPherson headed over from Canavan’s cross but the home side pulled a goal back on 67 minutes when Gabby Danko robbed Matt Hanson in possession and crossed for Taylor Allen to head home from five yards out.

Manager Quentin Townsend was delighted with nine points from the last three games and said “ This is our best run of the season, and we are finally starting to show some consistency as the new players have settled. When our injuries clear I think we can really push into the top ten of this league”. He added “ The Christmas period gives us a real test, with home games against title challengers Sporting Khalsa next Saturday(15th), then Worcester City on Boxing Day and league leaders Ilkeston Town on Saturday the  29th “ We will see how far we have progressed after those games”.

 SWIFTS: Richards, Joe Hanson, Fulloway, Timmins, Matt Hanson, Downing, Slevin, Layton, Canavan, Danks, MacPherson. SUBS USED: Jim Hanson, Billingham, Conway

Danks on target again

Stourport Swifts 4 Dunkirk 0  MPL Saturday 1st December  Att: 87

Swifts striker Mark Danks made it four in two games with another quick fire double to set the Swifts on the road to their biggest win of the season.

Danks produced another special goal after twelve minutes when he cut inside two defenders to fire an unstoppable 20 yard drive in to the top right hand corner and leave Dunkirk keeper Richard Stainsby groping thin air.Drew Canavan almost put Swifts two up when his 25 yard free kick struct the bar and went over. Jack Downing almost got in on the act when he left the Dunkirk defence at sea but scuffed his shot straight at Stainsby.

It was left to Danks to show them how to do it when he fired home from six yards out following a pin point free kick from Canavan on the right.

The visitors were not without their chances, and striker Romello Nangle twice squandered good chances to reduce the arrears in the first half after being put through on the Swifts goal, but first shot wide and then fired his shot into the side netting.

Danks almost secured his hat trick when his smart header from another Canavan free kick was well held by Stainsby, then Dom Richards in the Swifts goal was finally called into action with a fine save from a header by skipper Lewis Wilcox, and then a point blank save from substitute Josh Barr-Rostron. Joe Hanson was then on hand to clear a goalbound effort from George Bosworth off the line as Dunkirk threatened to get back into the game.

Nick MacPherson blazed over the bar after a sharp turn just inside the box, and Joe Billingham somehow shot wide from five yards out after MacPherson’s low driven cross picked him out, but with four minutes left Drew Canavan slipped a slide rule pass in for sub Callum Devlin to blast home number four from eight yards.


SWIFTS: Richards, Joe Hanson, Matt Hanson, Fulloway, Platt, Layton, Slevin, Canavan, Danks, MacPherson, Downing. SUBS USED: Jim Hanson, Billingham, Devlin

Swifts grind tough 3 points

Stourport Swifts 2 Coventry United 1  MPL Sat 24th Nov   Att : 74

Two goals from Mark Danks was just enough to give Stourport Swifts all three points in this tough encounter on Saturday.

Coventry opened strongly and both Shaquille McDonald and Jake Holt both shot narrowly wide in the first ten minutes as Swifts struggled to hold a front line that buzzed with intent , but Matt Fulloway and Jack Downing threatened also as Swifts showed they were capable of scoring themselves.

It was Danks who led the way  after 18 minutes when  he cut inside past two defenders to fire a twenty yard drive into the top corner past keeper Brad Casswell to give Stourport the lead.

Dom Richards in the Swifts goal twice came to the rescue with saves from Mc Donald and a fine block from Curvin Ellis as United pressed to get back on terms, but Casswell produced the save of the match to deny Canavan when he kept out his low ten yard effort after he was put through by MacPherson.

The game saw chances at both ends before the break, and Richards was equal again to a fierce 20 yard volley from Kyle Carey on the stroke of half time.

From the restart Martin Slevin saw his low shot cleared off the line by defender Ben Vallance, but the visitors responded when Mcdonald forced another fine save from Richards low to his right, but on 61 minutes after a Swifts free kick was cleared, Coventry broke and McDonald made no mistake when he cut inside Joe Hanson to fire past Richards at the near post and level the score.

Swifts produced their best spell of pressure after the equaliser, and after Drew Canavan crashed a 20 yard free kick against the bar Danks pounced to head home the rebound and put the Swifts back in front. Danks missed out on a hat trick when he blazed over the bar from six yards after Downing produced a wicked low cross which evaded the Coventry defence to set him up. Danks returned the compliment for Downing but his shot was tipped around the post for a corner as Swifts looked likely to increase their lead, but the scoreline stayed  at a tense one goal advantage.


SWIFTS: Richards, Joe Hanson, Matt Hanson, Fulloway, Platt, Downing, Slevin, Cumming, Danks, Canavan MacPherson. SUBS USED: Jim Hanson, Conway

Swifts suffer defeat at Westfields

Westfields 3 Stourport Swifts 1  Saturday 17th November   Att: 166

Things looked rosy for Stourport Swifts after they took an early lead in the 6th minute of this match when Matt Hanson was on hand to blast in from seven yards out following a corner from Martin Slevin.

But the lead lasted only another six minutes when Dom Richards parried out a fierce free kick from Westfields skipper Craig Jones, and Ben Hayes was on hand to head home from close range before the Swifts defence could react.

Swifts were without leading scorer Jack Downing and playmaker Drew Canavan, as well as captain Shaun Griffiths, but after Westfields threatened to take control, testing Richards again through Jamie Molyneux and Keanu Cooper, they hit back to come close themselves when Martin Slevin shot narrowly wide after a cross from Danks on the left,  and Nick Macpherson fired fiercely over the top from the edge of the box.

Westfields took the lead in the last minute of the first half when the Swifts defence failed to clear a right wing corner and Molyneux drove in via a deflection to make it 2-1.

Swifts pressed hard after the break to get level, with Cooke and Lewis Platt both going close, but Westfields increased their lead with their first real attack of the second half when Fulloway was caught in possession and Cooper crossed for Ben Hayes to drill his second goal of the game past Richards with a low angled drive.

Manager Quentin Townsend introduced new signings Kyle Belmonde and Callum Devlin after 65 minutes, and both showed promise, but Swifts could not get the goal they needed to get back in contention.

 SWIFTS: Richards, Cumming, Fulloway, Matt Hanson, Platt, Jim Hanson, Slevin, Layton, Danks, Cooke, MacPherson. SUBS USED: Belmonte, Devlin, Joe Hanson

Swifts have to settle for a point 

Stourport Swifts 1 Coventry Sphinx 1 Saturday 10th November   Att: 71

A penalty from Sphinx captain Callum Woodward with 19 minutes to go deprived  the Swifts of a hard earned victory last weekend.

Manager Quentin Townsend made four changes to the side which slumped out of the FA Vase last week, and it produced a response which left 6th placed Coventry Sphinx gasping in a high octane opening spell in which Joe Billingham somehow shot wide of an open goal after Canavan’s cross was palmed away by Spinx keeper Tom Cross, and Lewis Platt’s goalbound shot was parried over the bar.

Swifts took the lead in the 34th minute when Mark Danks was first to react and fire high into the net from 6 yards following a dangerous corner from Slevin on the right.

Sphinx missed a golden opportunity to level when Ryan Harkin was through on goal but shot tamely wide, but Billingham missed his second chance of a goal for Stourport when he shot wide from ten yards, then Richards saved well at the feet of Leigh Phillips on the stroke of half time to keep them in front.

After the break Swifts threatened again when Griffiths headed narrowly over from a Canavan free kick, and a mazy run from Platt set up Danks who forced Cross into a fingertip save.

Coventry levelled the score after 71 minutes when Griffiths was judged to have pulled down Harkin in the box, and Woodward stepped to blast his spot kick past Richards.

Swifts weathered their first real pressure after the equaliser, and Harkin twice fired over the bar from good positions in the closing minutes.


SWIFTS: Richards, Cummings, Griffiths, Fulloway, Platt, Billingham, Slevin, Layton, Danks, Canavan, MacPherson.  SUBS USED: Joe Hanson, Belmonde, Cooke

Swifts in early Vase exit

Stourport Swifts 0 NKF Burbage 2 Buildbase FA Vase 3rd Nov  Att:118

Stourport Swifts went down without a whimper in Round 2 of this years’ FA Vase against Division One opponents NKF Burbage.

Swifts, who earned exemption to the 2nd Round this year after reaching the last 16 last season, could not match the energy and purpose of their Leicestershire visitors and conceded a goal in each half without ever showing they were capable of mounting a challenge.

NKF gave notice of their intentions as early as the first minute, when Tom Smith pounced to rob Swifts skipper Shaun Griffiths and shoot narrowly past the post. Twelve minutes later they were in front when Jes Adcock was first to react as Swifts struggled to clear against a strong wind, to shoot low past Richards from 18 yards.

Jack Downing forced a save from keeper Alec Hill, and Griffiths headed straight at Hill from the resulting corner as Swifts tried to find some rhythm, but Burbage showed why they had picked up four trophies last season with a tireless workrate Swifts stuggled to match. Nicol, Downing and Joe Billingham all failed to test Hill as the first half clock ticked down, but Burbage striker Jake Brown still came closest to a goal when his snapshot fizzed narrowly wide.

Downing almost levelled for the Swifts after the break, but his shot on the turn was turned wide by defender Adam Zia, and Burbage went further in front after 52 minutes when Misambo was judged to have pulled down Tom Smith in the box and skipper Nathan Astill stepped up to shoot low past Richards’right hand from the spot.

Manager Quentin Townsend made a triple substitution on the hour with MacPherson, Danks and Cooke all introduced to offer some much needed firepower, and Swifts finally began to pose a threat, with Matt Fulloway heading over the top from a Platt corner, and both MacPherson and Cooke saw shots blocked by some determined Burbage defending.

Ben Priest was sent off in the last minute after picking up his second yellow card of the match.


SWIFTS: Richards, Misambo, Griffiths, Fulloway, Jim Hanson, Canavan, Billingham, Platt, Nicol, Downing. SUBS USED: MacPherson, Danks, Cooke.

Swifts crash out of Urn

Stourport Swifts 0 Bromsgrove Sporting 5 WSU Tues 30th Oct  Att:161

Stourport Swifts paid heavily for their mistakes as they were swept aside by Evo Stik Southern Central pacesetters Bromsgrove Sporting in the 2nd Round of the Worcestershire Senior Urn.

Swifts coped well in the early stages, and restricted Bromsgrove to a Richard Gregory header which was over the bar, and a Cameron Peters shot which whistled wide after a poor clearance from Richards, but paid the price for two mistakes in four minutes just before the break to put the visitors in charge. First Ben Priest allowed Gregory to escape his attentions and the striker made no mistake from eight yards to fire past Richards, then Jim Hanson’s loose back pass was gratefully accepted by Peters who drove home from the edge of the box.

Swifts best chances came just after half time when priest headed wide from MacPherson’s cross, and Andy Nicol just failed to connect with Martin Slevin’s low cross from the right.

Richards was kept busy at the other end, and Louis Hall long range effort was well held, and Charlie Dowd put Bromsgrove three in front when he fired home a 20 yard free kick with the Swifts wall all at sea.

Substitute Will Shorrock made it four when he finished off a neat four man move from close range, and added a fifth with a minute to go when he rounded Richards to score.


SWIFTS: Richards, Joe Hanson, Priest, Misambo, Matt Hanson, MacPherson, Slevin, Jim Hanson, Canavan, Danks, Nicol. SUBS USED: Billingham, Cooke, Griffiths

Richards earns point for Swifts

AFC Wulfrunians 0 Stourport Swifts 0 MPL Sat 27th October  Att: 85

Stourport Swifts battled out a goaless draw with 6th placed AFC Wulfrunians on Saturday.

The home side looked dangerous in the first few minutes, and Ben Jevons headed narrowly wide from Kyle Brady’s cross, but Swifts then failed to take advantage of keeper Mason Springthorpe’s loose clearance, and Josh Cooke shot wide from 30 yards out with the goal at his mercy. Springthorpe made up for his earlier mistake when he saved well from Drew Canavan’s 20 yard free kick, and Jack Downing almost put Swifts in front from Cooke’s low cross.

Dom Richards in the Swifts goal produced an outstanding save just before half time when Jevons was put clean through by Charlie Wilson but Richards managed to block his goalbound shot.

Just after the break Downing threatened again for the Swifts but blazed his shot wide when through on goal, and minutes later his low cross from the right just failed to find Cooke.

Brady shot narrowly wide for Wulfrunians after 56 minutes, and Richards produced the save of the match when he tipped substitute Jake Webb’s ten yard effort onto the post.

Both sides searched for a winner in the last 20 minutes, and Swifts introduced Andy Nicol, Mark Danks and Nick MacPherson in an effort to take the three points, but Matt Fulloway came closest when his far post header flew narrowly wide, and Nicol broke down the right to set up Kirk Layton who also fired past the post.

In the closing stages Chris Sterling looked to have won it for The Wulfs but Richards somehow blocked his point blank effort.


SWIFTS; Richards, Priest, Griffiths, Misambo, Fulloway, Billingham, Slevin, Layton, Canavan, Downing, Cooke. SUBS USED: Nicol, Danks, MacPherson

First class finish seals it for Swifts

Stourport Swifts 2  Lye Town 0  MPL Sat 19th October   Att: 82

Supersubs Jack Downing and Mark Danks both came off the bench in the second half to deliver the finishing touches to an impressive Swifts performance against 7th place Lye Town.

Swifts featured all three midweek signings, with Kirk Layton and Martin Slevin in midfield, and new striker Josh Cooke up front, but it was Lye who showed the greater threat in the opening stages, with Jack Till narrowly missing Probert’s low cross at the far post, and skipper Ben Billingham shooting narrowly over the top in the first five minutes. Cooke and Andy Nicol linked well in the 21st minute and Nicol saw his fierce drive fizz narrowly wide from the edge of the box.

After Joe Lawley shot inches wide for Lye, Ben Billingham forced the save of the half from Richards in the Swifts goal when his long range shot was tipped onto the crossbar.

Downing was introduced at the interval and almost set up Nicol with his first touch from a dangerous low cross from the right, but made no mistake in the 59th minute when he pounced to rob defender Leigh Pardoe and cooly volley low past Charlie Price in the Lye goal from 15 yards.

Lawley again forced Richards into a top drawer save as Lye pressed for an equaliser, but Danks made sure of a Swifts win with nine minutes left when he cut inside from the left and despatched a 20 yard screamer into the top corner past Price.


SWIFTS: Richards, Priest, Misambo, Griffith, Fulloway, Platt, Billingham, Layton, Slevin, Nicol, Cooke. SUBS USED: Downing, Danks, MacPherson

Swifts have to settle for a point

Quorn 1 Stourport Swifts 1  MPL Weds 17th October   Att: 79

Stourport Swifts produced a much improved performance on Wednesday night in this re arranged match, and only a fluke late equaliser denied them a win against in form Quorn.

Manager Quentin Townsend introduced new signings Kirk Layton from Bishops Cleeve in midfield, and striker Josh Cooke from Wolverhampton Sporting, and both produced the spark which Swifts seemed to be missing in recent games.

Townsend also recalled Ben Priest and Andy Nicol, and after controlling most of the first half Swifts got the goal they deserved on 40 minutes when Nicol was on hand to force home from close range after Matt Fulloway’s shot had been blocked.

The new look Swifts back line contained Quorn striker Steve Hart, with 24 goals already this season, and the dangerous Ryan Seal as the home side pressed in the second half, but the home side forced the equaliser with 14 minutes left when Sean Geddes' free kick took a wild deflection off the defensive wall past Richards.

Swifts late rally for a winner saw Mark Danks twice go close with a 20 yard effort and a spectacular overhead kick, but had to settle for a draw.


SWIFTS: Priest, Misambo, Griffith, Fulloway, Platt, Billingham, Layton, Canavan, Nicol, Cooke. SUBS USED: MacPherson, Jim Hanson, Danks

Swifts slump to heavy defeat

Stourport Swifts 1 Shepshed Dynamo 5  MPL Sat 6th October   Att: 63

Stourport Swifts crashed to their heaviest defeat of the season in this 5-1 drubbing at home to Shepshed Dynamo on Saturday.

Swifts went behind after just five minutes when a series of defensive errors ended when Matt Fulloway failed to clear after Richards half punched away a cross from the left, and Matt Melbourne pounced to drive low into an empty net from a tight angle.

Jack Downing shot tamely at keeper Brandon Ganley as Swifts pressed to get back on terms, and Jim Hanson’s long range effort flew just over the bar, and then saw a second effort saved by Ganley. Swifts best chance of the first half fell to Downing after 31 minutes after good work by Canavan gave him a clear shot at goal from ten yards out, but his fierce shot was straight at Ganley.

Shepshed went further ahead on the stroke of half time when Lewis Platt miscued his attempt to clear from a corner and Joe Pheasant was on hand at the far post to drill home from six yards out.

Manager Quentin Townsend brought on Ben Priest and Mark Danks at the break, and after Nicol should have done better with a clear chance, Joe Billingham swung in a dangerous free kick from the left, Misambo headed against the post and Danks was on hand to score from the rebound and put Swifts back in the match. The renewed hope lasted only nine minutes however, when Josh Thomas’ cross from the left evaded the entire Swifts defence to leave substitute  Jake Betts a free header at the far post to restore Shepshed’s two goal lead.

Jim Hanson could have made more of his clear chance after being put through by Billingham, but screwed his shot wide, and Danks and Downing both blazed over from the edge of the box as Swifts created several clear chances.

Josh Thomas showed the Stourport strikers how its done in the 78th minute when he cut inside from the left past two defenders and fired Shepshed’s fourth past Richards, and Pheasant made it five after Swifts again failed to clear their lines with four minutes left.


SWIFTS: Richards, Misambo, Griffiths, Fulloway, Joe Hanson, Billingham, Jim Hanson, Canavan, Nicol, Downing. SUBS USED: Priest, Danks, Eminoglu.

Swifts make it two in row

Stourport Swifts 3 Loughborough University 0  MPL Sat 28th September  Att: 71

Stourport Swifts made it two wins in a row with this comfortable win against Loughborough Uni.

Loughborough themselves were coming off the back of a 3-1 win against league leaders Westfields last week, and although keeping possession early on, could not find a way through a solid Swifts back line.

Swifts took the lead in the 29th minute when Shaun Griffiths’ header came back off the bar following a Jim Hanson corner, and defender Jake Croud could do nothing as the ball rebounded off him into the net.

Loughborough continued to press, but failed to test Richards in any way as Swifts were content to hit back on the break whenever the visitors attacks broke down.

Swifts hit their best spell of the game in the last quarter of the match, and Jack Downing continued his hot scoring streak when he found the top corner with an angled drive from 12 yards out to give keeper George Hobbs no chance, and it was Downing again who was brought down by the keeper 15 minutes later, and Drew Canavan stepped up to send Hobbs the wrong way from the spot to make it 3-0.

SWIFTS: Richards, Misambo, Griffiths, Fulloway, Joe Hanson, Jim Hanson, Billingham, Eminoglu, Platt, MacPherson, Downing. SUBS USED: Priest, Nicol, Canavan

Swifts make early exit in League Cup

Westfields 4 Stourport Swifts 1  Polymac Packaging League Cup Mon 24th Sept Att:103

Makeshift Stourport Swifts bowed out of the League Cup in Round 1 on Monday, going down to league leaders Westfields after three first half goals put the game out of their reach.

Striker Seth Antwi struck after just two minutes as Swifts struggled to re organise with defenders Matt Fulloway and Rudy Misambo unavailable, and Ben Hayes made it 2-0 ten minutes later.

Westfields took control, and only two fine saves from Richards denied Jamie Molyneux and Craig Jones, before an own goal from Alex Hainault threw Swifts a lifeline to put them back in the match. The two goal cushion was restored just before the break when Hayes bagged his second goal with a smart right foot finish.

Swifts gave a better performance in the second half, with Danks looking dangerous up front, but Molyneux completed a  deserved win for Westfield when he made it 4-1.

SWIFTS: Richards, Joe Hanson, Griffiths, Priest, Platt, Phillips, Jim Hanson, Billingham, Danks, MacPherson, Downing. SUBS USED: Matt Hanson, Parsons-Smith

Canavan sparks Swifts to three points

Dunkirk 0 Stourport Swifts 3  MPL  Sat 22nd September  Att: 58

Stourport Swifts bounced back from last weeks defeat at Highgate with this comfortable win against newcomers Dunkirk, and moved above them in the table.

After a nervous start Swifts took control, and after shooting narrowly wide in the 24th minute Drew Canavan provided a pin point corner for Matt Fulloway to put the Swifts in front with a neat header.

Ten minutes later Canavan almost increased the Swifts lead when he took Joe Hanson’s cross on his chest and fired narrowly wide from 15 yards, then cleverly flicked on for Jack Downing to just beat Dunkirk skipper Adam Burton  to the ball and steer sharply past keeper Alex Smith and make it 2-0.

Just before the break Smith was given a straight red card after appearing to throw a punch at Nick MacPherson following a Swifts corner to reduce the home side to ten men.

Swifts made the game safe one minute into the second half when Downing was first to react when Jim Hanson’s shot from the edge of the box came back off the left hand post and he fired the visitors into a 3-0 lead.

Stourport wasted several clear chances to take real advantage of the extra man but Lewis Platt screwed his shot wide from close range, and MacPherson twice blazed over the bar from good positions.

SWIFTS: Richards, Misambo, Griffiths, Fulloway, Joe Hanson, Canavan, Jim Hanson, Billingham, Platt, MacPherson, Downing. SUBS USED: Priest, Nicol, Matt Hanson

 Swifts hit season low

Highgate United 3  Stourport Swifts 0  MPL Sat 15th Sept  Att: 79

Manager Quentin Townsend saw Stourport Swifts go down to title challengers Highgate United on Saturday and described the match as their worst performance of the season.

Townsend said after the match “ The first half was our worst performance of the season. Everything we have built on so far seemed to disappear, and we were fortunate not to come away with a bigger defeat. We did not pressure the opposition at all, and paid for our lack of energy”.

Swifts were behind after 16 minutes when Marco Adaggio crossed for Lei Brown to tap in from close range, and went 2-0 down on the half hour when Richard Batchelor rose to head home from 6 yards.

Townsend made a triple substitution at half time, introducing Jim and Matt Hanson and leading scorer Andy Nicol, returning after suspension, and Swifts made the match much more of a contest, with Jack Downing seeing his shot saved after being put through by Canavan, and Ben priest scuffing a good chance wide, but George Curry made the game safe for Highgate with 17 minutes to go with a neat lob over keeper Richards to make it 3-0.


SWIFTS; Richards, Joe Hanson, Misambo, Griffiths, Fulloway, Kamara, Priest, Eminoglu, Canavan, Downing, Danks. SUBS USED: Jim Hanson, Matt Hanson, Nicol.

Swifts take Cup with record win

Stourport Swifts 10 Littleton 1 Worcester Royal Infirmary Cup Final  Weds 12 th Sept Att: 77

Stourport Swifts blew away a young Littleton side last night in the final of the Worcester Infirmary Cup.

The final, carried over from last season due to the mass of fixture postponements, proved a step too far for Littleton, whose new look team had an average age of just 18.

After a competitive opening, Nick MacPherson opened his account for the season on 15 minutes when Jack Downing crossed and he was on hand to drill in from close range, and six minutes later Ben Priest scored a neat second with a well placed lob over keeper Josh Rogers. It all looked to be going Swifts way, but Littleton winger Mike Jennings caught Griffiths in possession and after Richards could only parry his cross, Matt Magee made it 2-1.

Five minutes before the break Downing restored the two goal gap when his close range shot was deflected in.

Littleton could not cope with the Swifts pace and movement after the break, with MacPherson volleying home his second from six yards straight after the re start, and then came a surge of four goals in ten minutes, with two from Downing, a far post header from Matt Fulloway, and a blistering 20 yard free kick from MacPherson to give Swifts an 8-1 advantage just after the hour.

Littleton keeper Josh Rogers performed heroics when he denied MacPherson, Danks and Molloy in the space of a minute as Swifts pressed hard during  a spell where they looked likely to score with every attack,then Ben Priest squared for Mark Danks to get in on the act, and Danks added his second with ten minutes left when he fired in from ten yards to complete the route and retain the trophy.

SWIFTS: Richards, Misambo, Griffiths, Fulloway, Joe Hanson, Jim Hanson, Matt Hanson, Priest, Downing, MacPherson, Danks. SUBS USED: Billingham, Platt, Molloy 

Swifts go down in FA Cup

AFC Mansfield 2 Stourport Swifts 1  FA Cup Qualifying Round  Sun 9th September  Att: 213

Two defensive errors cost Stourport Swifts dearly as they crashed out of the FA Cup on Sunday.

Swifts took the lead in a tightly contested first half when Ben Priest drove home from the edge of the box after being teed up by Nick MacPherson.

Evo Stik East Division side Mansfield started strongly, but Swifts looked solid at the back with Rudy Misambo in particular outstanding.

Defender Jordan Annable headed over the top from a Jim Gaichem cross, and Lynton Karkach shot wide as Mansfield pressed, while MacPherson shot tamely at keeper Jason White and Jim Hanson forced White to a fingertip save which was tipped just around the post.

Eleven minutes into the second half Jack Downing was caught in possession and Karkach made no mistake, firing low past Zach Jeacock to level the scores, then Brad Wells shot straight at the keeper from close range as Mansfield pressed for a winner.

MacPherson shot over the top after good work from Canavan in Swifts best spell of the second half, but disaster struck again in the 82nd minute when a mix up between Griffiths and Joe Hanson put Wells clean through to shoot low past Jeacock for the winner.


SWIFTS: Jeacock, Misambo, Griffiths, Fulloway, Joe Hanson, Jim Hanson, Priest, Canavan, Matt Hanson, MacPherson, Downing. SUBS USED: Phillips, Danks, Molloy

Downing snatches point for Swifts

Stourport Swifts 1 Boldmere St Michaels 1    MPL  Tues 4th Sept  Att:84

Jack Downing pounced with two minutes to go to snatch a late equaliser against Boldmere.

With Swifts looking likely to finish empty handed after a 25yard free kick from Boldmere’s Owen Parry had looked decisive early in the second half, sub Mark Danks provided the spark required with a fine run and a pinpoint cross for Downing’s bullet header to earn Swifts a point.

The visitors showed why they have won every match since their opening day defeat with some neat play in the opening stages, and top scorer Rikardo Reid twice went close early on, and Reece Mitchell saw his free kick come back off the crossbar. Kieren Westwood was also unfortunate to see his well struck shot come back off the post. At the other end Nick MacPherson twice tested Lewis Fenney in the Mikes goal, and sub Joe Billingham saw his shot blocked after a fine move between Joe Hanson and Drew Canavan opened the defence.

Reid and Parez Bromfield kept the Swifts defence alert with a series of dangerous runs,  but Misambo, Griffiths and Fulloway dealt well with the threat.

Downing came close to evening the score after 67 minutes but his header hit the post with Fenney stranded. With the clock ticking down it looked all over for the Swifts before the lively Danks produced the perfect cross for Downing to level.

SWIFTS:  Jeacock, Misambo, Fulloway, Joe Hanson, Priest, Canavan, Billingham, Matt Hanson, MacPherson, Downing.  SUBS USED: Platt, Danks, Molloy.

Swifts grind out a point

Walsall Wood 0 Stourport Swifts 0  MPL Sat 1st September  Att: 76

Stourport Swifts survived an anxious last ten minutes to take a well deserved point from last season’s Division One Champions.

Manager Quentin Townsend made five changes to the side which lost 3-1 at Worcester City on Monday, Nick MacPherson returning to the Swifts after a spell at Halesowen Town, came in up front, Rudy Misambo and Matt Fulloway were restored at the back, and Umit Eminoglu and Matt Hanson both made their first starts of the season.

Neither side looked likely to give much away in the early stages, but Jack Downing was unlucky to see his deflected effort skid just wide after he almost robbed Wood keeper Lloyd Ransome, and came close again minutes later when after a neat one-two with MacPherson, defender Kyle Rowley just managed to block his shot. After 34 minutes Downing played in MacPherson but Ransome saved well with his feet.

As half time appoached Wood full back Dan Okojie shot tamely wide from a good position, and Richards came to the rescue for the Swifts when he raced out to block Jordan Fitzpatrick.

In the second half Wood began to take charge, and Tony Clarke headed straight at Richards after a series of corners, but then Downing saw another effort well saved by Ransome after being put through by Joe Hanson, and Drew Canavan blazed narrowly wide after linking with MacPherson.

In the last 15 minutes Swifts came under the cosh as Wood pressed hard for a winner, with Richards saving well from sub Javia Roberts, and Clarke was judged offside after firing in the rebound after Okojie’s shot came back off the post.

Swifts survived another scare when Roberts angled drive also came back off the post, then almost snatched it at the death but Rowley managed to clear Nicol’s close range effort.

SWIFTS; Richards, Misambo, Griffiths, Fulloway, Joe Hanson, Eminoglu, Priest, Canavan, Matt Hanson, MacPherson, Downing SUBS USED: Platt, Nicol, Parsons-Smith

Swifts crash in local derby

Worcester City 3 Stourport Swifts 1  MPL Mon 27th Aug  Att: 460

Stourport Swifts not only came off second best in their Bank Holiday local derby, but also finished the match with 9 men after Umit Eminoglu and Andy Nicol were sent off.

Worcester always looked sharper in the first half, and Swifts keeper Dom Richards pulled off good saves from Chris Withington and Matt Birley in the opening ten minutes, and skipper Shaun Griffiths was on hand to clear his lines after a slip from Ben Priest let in Jordan Harrison for a chance on goal.

Worcester took the lead on 22 minutes when Tyler Weir crossed from the right and Jordan Harrison forced home  despite Richards almost keeping out his close range effort.

Richards saved well from another fierce angled drive from Reynolds as Swifts struggled to make any impact, but with their first real attack of note on the stroke of half time, Jim Hanson and Drew Canavan combined well for Hanson to cross low from the left and Jack Downing pounced at the far post to level the score.

Swifts looked to be making a better contest early in the second half, with Downing narrowly failing to connect with Melvin’s cross, and Andy Nicol testing Dan Jezeph with a fierce cross shot. Jim Hanson was forced off with a head injury after 47 minutes, and ten minutes later Worcester increased their lead when Harrison broke free on the right and pulled back a low cross for Reynolds to blast in from six yards out.

New signing Emit Eminoglu replaced Mark Danks after 64 minutes, and spent just 40 seconds on the pitch after being dismissed for a reckless challenge on Dave Reynolds. Swifts almost got back on terms when Drew Canavan cut inside and curled a left foot 20 yarder towards the bottom corner, but Jezeph produced a brilliant one handed save to tip it around the post.

James Baldwin sealed the points when he forced in from close range to make it 3-1, despite protests the ball had not crossed the line, and Swifts finished a miserable afternoon when Nicol was dismissed for a rash challenge on Joel Caines.

SWIFTS: Richards, Joe Hanson, Priest, Griffiths, Platt, JimHanson, Melvin, Canavan, Downing, Nicol Danks, SUBS USED: Billingham, Eminoglu, McPike.

Swifts march on in FA Cup

Stourport Swifts 2 Sporting Khalsa 1  Sat 25th Aug FA Cup Preliminary Round Att: 126

A stirring second half comeback saw Stourport Swifts reach the First Qualifying Round of the FA Cup on Saturday.

The match looked to be all but over at half time as Khalsa took command, but for all their dominance just a single goal from Mensah Kinch separated the two teams at the interval

Khalsa looked to have taken the lead after nine minutes when Dan Westwood fired a ten yard shot into the top corner, but the goal was disallowed for a marginal offside. Swifts had keeper Dom Richards to thank for two saves from full back Carlo Franco and David Meese, and Matt Fulloway cleared off the line after a goalmouth scramble.

The introduction of Malcolm Melvin and Olly Mulders, and a roasting from manager Quentin Townsend, saw a different team emerge for the second half, as Swifts took control of the game immediately, with Mulders forcing Khalsa keeper Sam Arnold to a brilliant one handed save low to his left, and Jack Downing blazed a good chance over the top after being put through by Melvin.

Drew Canavan levelled the score for the Swifts after sixty minutes when he curled a fine 20 yard free kick into the top corner after Downing had been brought down on the edge of the box.

Downing then had a golden opportunity to put Swifts in front but his bullet close range header from Melvin’s cross flew over the bar. Swifts got the goal their high energy effort deserved when in the 69th minute Leon Miles felled Downing in the box and Canavan stepped up to blast the spot kick past Arnold.

Khalsa threw everything forward in the last 15 minutes, and Richards twice came to the rescue with fine saves from Chilton and sub Josh Thomas.

SWIFTS: Richards, Joe Hanson, Priest, Griffiths, Fulloway, Platt, Jim Hanson, Canavan, Billingham, Nicol, Downing. SUBS USED: Melvin, Mulders, Danks


Swifts take harsh lesson

Romulus 4 Stourport Swifts 0   Mon 20th August   Att: 82

Three goals in 14 second half minutes undid all Stourport Swifts hard work as they went down to a heavy defeat at Romulus.

The first half produced good chances for both sides as they traded blows in the early stages with Jack Downing shooting over the top for Swifts and Kris Taylor’s fierce volley just wide for Romulus.

Romulus winger Dimitri Dunkley evaded the challenge of Lewis Platt in the 15th minute, but shot narrowly wide, and Drew Canavan saw his 20 yard effort well saved by Tyrell Belford in the Romulus goal. Andy Nicol twice went close for the Swifts just after the half hour, with one full blooded drive bravely blocked by defender Niall Rowe.

The game turned just two minutes into the second half when Lewis Platt brought down Chad Deguille-Cross n the box and Mitch Piggon stepped up to blast home from the spot to put Romulus ahead. Rudy Misambo was inches away from turning in Ben Priest’s shot from the edge of the box for an equaliser before Swifts were two down when defender Cameron Lee’s bullet header from Taylor’s pin point free kick flew past Richards. Piggon made it 3-0  just four minutes later, and Swifts were all at sea with 15 minutes left,  having used all three subs, Misambo was reduced to a passenger when he suffered a hamstring injury.

Swifts continued to press for the goal they deserved, and Downing and Nicol both could have done better with a couple of half chances, but Romulus sub Simon Williams made it 4-0 when he drove home at the second attempt after Richards had saved with 4 minutes to go, to finish a night to forget for the Swifts.

SWIFTS: Richards, Joe Hanson, Griffiths, Misambo, Platt, Jim Hanson, Priest, Canavan, Downing, Nicol, Danks, SUBS USED: Billingham, Mulders, Stratford

 Swifts notch first league win

Stourport Swifts 1 South Normanton Athletic -  Sat 18th Aug  Att: 76

Stourport Swifts recorded their first 3 points of the season with a narrow win against bottom club South Normanton.

Swifts dominated for long spells but could not add to Andy Nicol’s 19th minute strike, set up after a surging run into the box from Joe Hanson, and Jack Downing proved a constant threat in the first half, and twice set up Danks but each time he shot wide.
With half an hour gone Canavan drove into the box but saw his shot blocked by Oli Cox, and Rudy Misambo’s snap shot from Canavan’s corner was brilliantly turned onto the post by South Normanton keeper Curtis Hall.
The visitors offered little threat but Richards in the Swifts goal had to be alert to hold a shot from Jamie Turner.
Nicol and Danks both saw long range efforts fly just wide, and Nicol’s ambitious volley also failed to hit the target. A fine run and cross from Lewis Platt to the byline somehow missed all the Swifts’ players in the box, and Downing also failed to find Nicol  and Danks after skipping past two Normanton defenders.

With four minutes left referee John Roskelly sent off Normanton skipper Dave Leigh and winger Tom Lewis for speaking out of turn.

SWIFTS: Richards, Joe Hanson, Misambo, Priest, Platt, Billingham, Jim Hanson, Canavan, Downing, Danks, Nicol. SUBS USED: Griffiths, Mulders, Stratford

Swifts stalemate earns first point

Sporting Khalsa 0 Stourport Swifts 0 MPL Tues 14th Aug Att: 92

Stourport Swifts earned their first point of the season with a battling display at Sporting Khalsa in as entertaining a goalless draw as you are likely to see.

Swifts opened strongly and Drew Canavan played in Mark Danks with eight minutes gone, but saw his shot well saved by Khalsa keeper Sam Arnold, and a minute later Andy Nicol forced Arnold to turn his low drive round the post. Canavan’s shot was blocked by a desperate challenge from Khalsa skipper Robinson, and a left wing corner from the same player bounced off the bar. Danks and Nicol tested Arnold twice more as Swifts dominated early on.

After 28 minutes Swifts almost took the lead when Canavan’s free kick was deflected inches wide by defender Leon Miles. Khalsa’s produced little to threaten Richards in the first half, with Ben Priest blocking a goalbound shot from Mensah Kinch, and Lee Chilton’s dangerous cross was just too high for Tony Clarke.

After Lewis Platt fired a fierce 25 yarder just wide  early in the second half, Swifts were forced back under some Khalsa  pressure, but Rudy Misambo, returning after suspension, and captain Ben Priest looked solid in Swifts new look back four. Richards saved well from Chilton and held on to a long range effort from Alex Melbourne as Khalsa forced a succession of corners, but Swifts twice could have forged ahead when Jack Downing just failed to connect from Joe Hanson’s cross and Danks was inches from Canavan’s low cross.

Sub Josh Thomas tested Richards, and in the last minute Khalsa almost snatched it when after a goalmouth scramble Dan Westwood saw his close range effort come back off the bar.

 SWIFTS: Richards, Joe Hanson, Misambo, Priest, Platt, Billingham, Canavan, Jim Hanson, Downing, Danks, Nicol. SUBS USED: Mulders, Parker

Swifts hit FA Cup trail

Stourport Swifts 2 Shawbury United 1 FA Cup Extra Prelim Round  Sat 11th Aug  Att: 124

Stourport Swifts moved into the Preliminary Round of the FA Cup with this first win of the season against Shawbury United.

Swifts, having lost their opening two league matches, started brightly with Olly Mulders shooting wide from long range and Mark Danks also missing the target after a neat link up with Jim Hanson.

But after 24 minutes it was Shawbury who took the lead when Ben Priest brought down striker Shaun Evans in the box and the same player stepped up to send Richards the wrong way from the spot kick. Swifts were level ten minutes later when Danks crossed low from the right and Andy Nicol was on hand to sweep past Tom Delamere in the Shawbury goal from ten yards out. Nicol almost made it two just before the break after a mix up between defender Jordan Jones and keeper Delamere, but his goalbound shot was blocked.

In the second half Swifts saw several chances go begging early on, thanks mainly to two outstanding saves from Delamere, first from a Nicol close range piledriver, then from Canavan after he was put through by Danks. Swifts eventually took the lead in the 54th minute when  Jack Downing placed a fine header just inside the post from eight yards after Olly Mulders free kick from the right.

Callum Parker shot over the top and Delamere pushed another fierce shot from Nicol onto the bar as Swifts looked to increase their lead, but they suffered a real scare with four minutes to go when Shawbury sub Reis Orchard fortunately shot wide from close in to give Swifts a home tie in the next round against Sporting Khalsa on 25th August.

SWIFTS: Richards, Jim Hanson, Griffiths, Priest, Platt, Billingham, Canavan, Mulders, Downing, Nicol, Danks. SUBS USED: Joe Hanson, Parker, Molloy.

Swifts crash again

Stourport Swifts 1 Wolverhampton Sporting Community 2  MPL Tues 7thAugust   Att:93

Stourport Swifts lost the first home game of their league campaign but will have nightmares over a succession of second half chances to take the points that all went begging.

Luke Morris gave Wolves Sporting the lead after just nine minutes when he just evaded Griffiths’ challenge to poke past Richards from eight yards out. Swifts produced a brisk response, with Tony Allsopp in the Wolves goal saving from Danks with his legs, and Olly Mulders saw his 20 yard free kick deflected narrowly wide. Allsopp denied Danks again before minutes later Mulders robbed defender Lewis Wall and played in Danks once again, who this time made no mistake to put Swifts level from ten yards out.

Just after the break Matt Fulloway saw his shot deflected inches wide following a Canavan corner, and Wolves sub Josh Cooke tested Richards from long range. Allsopp saved well again from Danks as Swifts threatened, but it was the visitors who forged ahead after 68 minutes when Dan Scaggs cut inside from the left and cut loose with a dipping 25 yarder into the top corner to beat Richards.

Swifts pressed hard to get back on terms, and somehow Griffiths hit Allsopp with the goal at his mercy after another Canavan corner, then Jim Hanson fired over the top from six yards out before sub Callum Parker amazingly put his finish over the bar from two yards out after Nicol and Molloy combined to open the Wolves defence.

SWIFTS: Richards, Jim Hanson, Priest, Griffiths, Fulloway, Platt, Canavan, Billingham, Mulders, Danks, Nicol.  SUBS USED: Stratford, Molloy, Parker

Swifts go down to late winner

Ilkeston Town 3  Stourport Swifts 2   MPL Sat 4th August 2018  Att: 609

Stourport Swifts suffered defeat in their opening Midland Premier League match in front of a bumper crowd at Ilkeston.

After a shaky start, new look Swifts, with six players making their debuts, took the lead when Drew Canavan slipped a precision pass inside the Ilkeston defence for Mark Danks to slide past the advancing Liam Mitchell from 12 yards.

Ilkeston replied quickly, and Swifts were fortunate Alex Marshall shot wide when put clean through, and Richards saved well at the feet of Reeves. The same player made no mistake however after 14 minutes when he fired past Richards’ right hand to level the score.

Canavan saw his free kick tipped over the bar by Mitchell, and Ilkeston had a lucky escape when Danks’ shot was saved and Nicol, following up, saw his shot blocked on the line. Danks almost scored again when his shot on the turn was again tipped over by Mitchell, and Oli Mulders also brought a smart save from Mitchell. Swifts finished the half strongly, and Mulders and Lewis Platt both shot over the bar, and Canavan’s 30 yard free kick was saved by Mitchell.

Chances continued to flow at both ends after the break, and four minutes into the second half Nicol escaped two defenders on the right but no one was in the box to tap in his inviting low cross.

Lavelle White shot wide from a good chance for Ilkeston, and after Richards saved well with his feet from Bennett Shaun Rickford rose unmarked from the resulting corner to put his side in front.

Jack Downing almost levelled with his first touch after replacing Danks, but fired straight at Mitchell, but Swifts were level in the 74th minute when Ben Priest headed down Canavan’s right wing corner and Andy Nicol pounced to force home.

With three minutes left Bennett’s free kick wide on the left evaded Platt at the far post, Ryan Whitehurst crossed low, and Ilkeston sub Malachi Lavelle-Moore tapped in from a yard out to give his side the points.

SWIFTS: Richards, Jim Hanson, Priest, Griffiths, Fulloway, Platt, Canavan, Billingham, Mulders, Nicol, Danks. SUBS USED: Downing, Stratford, Molloy, 

Swifts crash in last friendly

Tividale 3 Stourport Swifts 1  Sat 28th July  Att: 41

Stourport Swifts went down at Tividale in their last pre season friendly before their first league match against Ilkeston next week.

Swifts, without their strike force of Nicol and Danks, came under some early pressure as Tividale started strongly,  but took a 22nd minute lead thanks to a fine header from 17 year old Jack Downing after a pin point cross from the right from Luke Molloy. Twelve minutes later Tividale were level after Billingham was judged to holding in the box, and Curtis Cocking stepped up to shoot low past Richards from the spot. Tividale keeper Ryan Cheshire then produced an outstanding save from Downing, tipping his fierce shot over the bar, and 3 minutes later the home side were in front when Dimitri Brown raced clear and calmly lobbed over the advancing Richards from 30 yards out.

Swifts opened brightly in the second half, and Cheshire pulled out another fine save from Malcolm Melvin before Dan Smith extended the Tividale lead, holding off Timms’ challenge before scoring low past Richards. Swifts looked likely to get back in the game with some sustained pressure, with Canavan striking the Tividale bar from 20 yards out, and Parker hitting the post from Downing’s cross. Cheshire saved well again from Canavan and Jim Hanson, but Tividale held on to win.

SWIFTS: Richards, Timms, Phillips, Misambo, Fulloway, Jim Hanson, Billingham, Melvin, Canavan, Molloy. SUBS USED: Jones, Parker, Parsons-Smith, McPike.

Swifts keep scoring

Stourport Swifts 3 Droitwich Spa 1 Thurs 26th July  Att: 51

Swifts manager Quentin Townsend made 5 changes from the one which spanked Bromyard 6-0 on Tuesday, but they still showed plenty of goal power in this win against Droitwich.

Droitwich took a shock lead with 27 minutes gone when Rudy Misambo missed a routine clearance to give Haydn Morris a clear shot at Richards, which he despatched calmly into the bottom corner.

The lead lasted just a minute when Droitwich skipper Mike Seeley deflected Jack Downing’s shot past his own keeper.

Seven minutes later Swifts were in front when Callum Parker took one touch before stroking Downing’s cross past Matt Oliver from 12 yards out. Swifts settled into some comfortable possession with Malcolm Melvin moving the ball smoothly through midfield, and Downing and Joe Billingham both went close with decent efforts.

Charlie Wilson’s header was well saved by Oliver in the 56th minute, but the introduction of Drew Canavan paid a fast dividend when he played a sharp one-two with Wilson and coolly slotted past Oliver to make it 3-1 with 20 minutes to go. Wilson saw another header save by Oliver and Lewis Platt went close as Swifts still looked likely to increase their lead.

Swifts are away at Tividale on Saturday, and play Bewdley Town for the Chris Reynolds Cup on Tuesday night.

SWIFTS: Richards, Timms, Misambo, Priest, Fulloway, Phillips, Parsons-Smith, Melvin, Molloy, Downing, Parker. SUBS USED: Higginson, Jones, Billingham, Platt, Canavan.

Nicol treble fires Swifts into final

Bromyard Town 0 Stourport Swifts 6  Worcester Royal Infirmary Cup semi final  Tues 24th July    Att: 62

Swifts striker Andy Nicol scored his first hat trick for the club to fire Stourport Swifts into the final of the Worcester Infirmary Cup for the second year running.

Stourport started quickly against West Midland League Division One outfit Bromyard, and Mark Danks and Drew Canavan both squandered early chances.

Bromyard failed to make the most of their early chances when Andy Hudson shot wide and Matt Smith shot tamely at Richards with the goal at his mercy.

Swifts took the lead after 24 minutes when Rudy Misambo headed in Canavan’s corner from close range. Four minutes later Andy Nicol made it 2-0 from the penalty spot after being brought down in the box by Dan Tonks. Ben Priest was ruled offside when he looked likely to score, and Danks and Canavan combined well to create space for Joe Billingham, but his shot was wide. Jack Downing put Swifts three up when he skipped past three defenders in a 50 yard run before rounding Rhodes to tap home an outstanding individual goal.

After some early Bromyard pressure in the second half, Matt Fulloway rose at the far post to head Canavan’s free kick smartly across goal for Nicol to pounce and make it 4-0. Swifts were down to ten men five minutes later when Misambo was shown a straight red card for a reckless challenge on Tonks. This did little to disrupt the Swifts’ rhythm, and after Rhodes comfortably saved Adlington’s header, Nathan Myers just managed to scramble Nicol’s deft flick off the line.

Nicol completed his hat trick after 72 minutes when his 25 yard effort took a deflection to dip just inside the post, and Canavan made it 6-0 from the spot after Lewis Platt was fouled in the box.

Swifts will meet Littleton in a repeat of last season’s final.

SWIFTS: Richards, Misambo, Priest, Fulloway, Billingham, Canavan, Adlington, Platt, Danks, Nicol, Downing. SUBS USED: Molloy, Parker, Timms

Stourbridge edge out Swifts

Stourport Swifts 1 Stourbridge 2    Sat 21st July Att:170

Visitors Stourbridge pinned Swifts back in a flying start, with Stuart Pierpont heading over the top when he should have done better, and only a last ditch tackle from Rudy Misambo preventing Jake Evans from giving his side the lead.

Luke Benbow just failed to connect with an Anderson cross to the far post, while Le

on Broadhurst headed tamely at Richards from close range.

Swifts finally broke out of their own half with ruthless effect after 31 minutes, when in their first real attack Andy Nicol punished the Stourbridge defence to fire an angled drive past Maher from 12 yards. Benbow blazed wildly over the bar and Richards saved from Anderson before Stourbridge got the equaliser they deserved on 36 minutes when Rob Thompson-Brown hit a low 25 yarder past Richards. Stourbridge narrowly missed the chance to go in at half time in front when Anderson saw his shot run just past the post.

Swifts continued their high energy approach after the break, despite losing Misambo with a hamstring injury, and missed a golden chance to go back in front when Aldington shot wide from 8 yards out with the goal at his mercy. Parker and Molloy combined well on the right no one was on hand to convert a dangerous cross.

Stourbridge took the lead with 13 minutes to go when sub Paul McCone was on hand to force home from close range after Swifts failed to clear a right wing corner.

SWIFTS: Richards, Misambo, Priest, Fulloway, Parsons- Smith, Canavan, Aldington, Billingham, Platt, Nicol, Danks. SUBS USED: Molloy, Parker, Timms, Downing, McPike

Swifts hit six in friendly

Wellington 2 Stourport Swifts 6   Sat 14th July  Att 41

Stourport Swifts new look side hit West Midlands League Wellington for six in this comfortable win.

New manager Quentin Townsend had several of his new signings on show, and they linked in well with the retained players from last season.

Swifts new strike force of Andy Nicol and Mark Danks showed promise, while a new look back three of Matt Fulloway, Shaun Griffiths and Rudy Misambo looked unlikely to give much away. In midfield the return of Drew Canavan gave Swifts plenty of quality on the ball, and Malcolm Melvin worked tirelessly throughout.

Swifts went in front when Griffiths headed home from Canavan’s right wing corner after 25 minutes, but were pegged back just 3 minutes later when Wellington striker John Hughes sliced his shot past Richards from 8 yards out. Wellington centre half Ray Lockton put Swifts back in front when he drove his attempted clearance past his own keeper from 12 yards.

In the second half Matt Fulloway played in Danks to make it 3-1, and two minutes later Danks crossed low for Nicol to react first and drive home at the near post. Wellinton pulled one back in the 61st minute when Misambo was judged to have brought down Hughes in the box, and Lee Clark scored from the spot.

Townsend made four changes five minutes later to give the Swifts more energy, and Nicol made it five after good work from Jack Downing, and Joe Billingham made it six with four minutes to go.

SWIFTS: Richards, Misambo, Griffiths, Fulloway, Joe Hanson, Clarke, Canavan, Melvin, Jim Hanson, Nicol, Danks, SUBS USED: Parsons-Smith, Grant, Aldington, Downing, Billingham, Molloy